Sunday, February 23, 2014

Hearing the Word of God


Hearing the Word of God

Amos 8:11-12

 “Behold, the days are coming,” says the Lord God,
“That I will send a famine on the land,
Not a famine of bread,
Nor a thirst for water,
But of hearing the words of the Lord.
 They shall wander from sea to sea,
And from north to east;
They shall run to and fro, seeking the word of the Lord,
But shall not find it.

I was reading in Amos this morning before church and I came across these two verses.  I believe it is safe to say that we are in this time period mentioned in Amos (“Behold, the days are coming”).  The majority of Believers are not consistently spending time in the God’s word.  Why is this?  I am assuming that the things of this world are keeping us so busy that we choose not to read the Word of God and the fact that reading the Bible is hard work.  We can’t find the word of God (“wander from sea to sea and from north to east”) because we are not seeking the word of God.  Therefore, how can we increase our faith if we don’t hear the word of God?

What is faith? 

1. Complete trust or confidence in someone or something.

2. Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual comprehension rather than proof.

Again, I ask “How can we increase our faith”?  The answer is to have complete trust in God and in His doctrine based on what He says in His word.  God’s word gives us a simple understanding on how to receive faith.

Romans 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Many people I am running into are suffering and their faith is waning or nonexistent.  People are suffering because we don’t believe what God is telling us in His word.  We constantly seek answers from man (including ourselves) instead of seeking God.

Seek God’s word and the knowledge, wisdom, and understanding will come because His word will be written in our heart and the suffering will start to subside.  Hebrews 8:10 10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.
Blessings,
Tony Sanchez

No comments: