Sunday, February 23, 2014

Baptism of the Holy Spirit


The Baptism of the Holy Spirit

 

 

What God’s Word has to say about the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

 

Matthew 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

 

Mark 1:8 I indeed baptized you with water, but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

 

Luke 3:16 John answered, saying to all, “I indeed baptize you with water; but One mightier than I is coming, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire

 

John 1:33 I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’.

 

Acts 1:5 for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”

 

The words of others, Old Testament and New Testament, On the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

 

Isaiah 28:11-12  For with stammering lips and another tongue  He will speak to this people, To whom He said, “This is the rest with which  You may cause the weary to rest,” And, “This is the refreshing”;  Yet they would not hear.  Compare with: 1 Corinthians 13:21 In the law it is written: “With men of other tongues and other lips  I will speak to this people; And yet, for all that, they will not hear Me,”  says the Lord.

                                                                      

Why the Baptism of the Holy Spirit?

 

Luke 24:49  Behold, I send the Promise of My Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high.”

 

Indwelling Power for our lives.

 

Acts 1:8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

 

John 7:37-39 On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.” But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

 

The Early Church and the Baptism of the Holy Spirit:

 

Acts 1:2 until the day in which He was taken up, after He through the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen.  Acts 9:17 And Ananias went his way and entered the house; and laying his hands on him he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you came, has sent me that you may receive your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” 

Acts 10:44-48 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word. And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God.
Then Peter answered, “Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord.
  Acts 11:15-17 And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them, as upon us at the beginning. Then I remembered the word of the Lord, how He said, ‘John indeed baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’ If therefore God gave them the same gift as He gave us when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could withstand God?”  Acts 19

 

How do I receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit?

 

Desire!  John: 37-39 On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.” But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

 

Ask!  Luke 11:13  If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”

 

Believe!  Acts 2:38   Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

 

Receive!  Acts 8:17  Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit. Acts 10:44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word. Acts 19:6 And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.

 

With the empowering of the Holy Spirit, you will be able to fulfill the destiny God created you for and deliver God’s Word effectively.  Just as your received salvation, you must personally receive the Baptism in the Holy Spirit.  You do not have to beg for the Holy Spirit but you do have to ask.  As you pray, keep in mind that receiving the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues is not cerebral (relating to the brain).  Rather, it is from your heart (spirit within).  Pray this prayer:

 

My heavenly Father, I am a believer.  I am Your child and You are my Father.  Jesus is my Lord.  I believe with all my heart that Your Word is true.

 

Your Word says that if I will ask, I will receive the Holy Spirit.  In the Name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, I am asking You to fill me to overflowing with Your precious Holy Spirit.

 

Lord Jesus, baptize me in the Holy Spirit.  Because of Your Word, I believe that I now receive Your Holy Spirit and I thank You for it.  I believe that the Holy Spirit is within me and by faith I accept it.

 

Now Holy Spirit, rise up within me as I praise my God.  I fully expect to speak with other tongues as You give me utterance.

 

Now, begin to thank God and praise Him for baptizing you in the Holy Spirit.  As you do, there will rise up within your spirit certain words and syllables that are unknown to you, so by faith, speak.  Don’t speak any more of your own language.  You can’t speak two languages at the same time.  Just begin to speak the syllables that are on your lips. 

 

You are no longer alone.  The Holy Spirit is the Comforter and our Helper Who will abide with your forever.

 

It was only after Jesus Christ was Baptized in the Holy Spirit that he was able to perform so many miracles.

 

Praying in the Spirit is a very powerful when petitioning the Lord and in spiritual warfare.  Pray in the Spirit throughout the day as you are lead by The Lord Jesus Christ.                     Tony Sanchez 2-2008

No comments: