Friday, January 23, 2015

Fasting - Week 2 of 3


I want to say thank you for all of the responses during this time of fasting.  It is encouraging to hear that people are being convicted.  I want to share two such responses below:

Thank you Tony.

  1. Fasting has been on my mind for about the past year and I am looking forward to reading more. I have been weak regarding food and believe He is nudging me to fast. I do not know anything about how to go about it and look forward to hearing more from you on this.
  2. Glad you're doing this fasting Brother, it has been on my heart to set aside a day to fast for the Lord. I believe that fasting is just us humans being desperate for Him. I tried to fast I think almost the same day you started but failed. Instead I gave up something I really, really like. Now that I read your email about fasting for our own desires and not God's, I may need to reevaluate what I gave up and the reasons behind it.

I just completed week two of the 21 day fast.  Before I get started, I want to share with you all one of the reasons for my fast that I put in my fasting journal dated January 4th.  In my words I prayed for a “Double portion of Elijah (2 Kings 2:9) for power and authority in Jesus name for healing and deliverance for me and my family and those I pray for in the Healing Room and others.”  Last Sunday I sent out a recap of my first week of fasting and proceeded to attend service soon after and was surprised to hear Pastor George’s  message included a “Double portion of Elijah.”  What a blessing to have confirmation in what I was asking.

The Holy Spirit is using this fast to reveal my true spiritual condition, resulting in brokenness, repentance, and a transformed life.  God looks for those faithful few upon whom He can pour out His blessings in extraordinary ways.  When we fast, you attracts God’s attention as one willing to venture beyond the norms of religion and go to a higher, more meaningful relationship with him.  When we fast, we have no other choice than to deny self and depend on Him.  When we do this, we are telling God our desire to be in His will and to walk according to His plans which He will gladly reveal to us.

Fasting is an essential means of sanctifying ourselves, pulling ourselves away from the world, and getting closer to God.  Fasting allows us to filter your life and to set yourself apart to seek the Lord.  Jesus prayed this for us:

John 17:16-19 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.  Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.  As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.  And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth.

Fasting will help us identify areas of hidden sin and things that are displeasing to God in our lives.  Fasting helps us discern between serving the flesh and serving the spirit.  Hebrews 9:13-14 For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh,  how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Fasting helps us to distinguish between what you want and what you really need.  When you choose not to worry (Matthew 6:34) about these things and seek Him first, you are demonstrating the kind of faith that is pleasing to Him, because you are trusting Him to also give you all the things that you need.

Lastly, I want to share a highlight of this past week.  My Dad was not a loving  dad and as a consequence, I grew up with rejection and an unloving spirit.  I protected myself through the years and was not able to feel or express the level of love that God wanted me to have.  At the Healing Room we pray for each other as we wait for people to come in for prayer.  A few weeks ago, I asked one of the team members to pray that I would be able to receive the love of God.  It was only when I could receive that love in its fullness, could I convey God’s love to myself and others.  In addition, I realized that compassion is a  factor and goes hand in hand with love. During the past week His love and compassion has been so magnified in me that I have been able to receive and convey His great love  and compassion to my wife and children.  I now understand that without compassion, there is not true love. Thank you Father for Your love and compassion!!!!

I pray that you are able to get something out of my experience.  Thank you all for your prayers and encouragement.

“Now, therefore,” says the Lord, “Turn to Me with all your heart, With fasting, with weeping, and with mourning.” Joel 2:12

Tony Sanchez

Resources: NKJV, Jentezen Franklin Fasting Jounal

No comments: